top of page


Effective 1/1/2020 Public Act 101-0526 
Sec. 12.5. Child performers; trust fund.
(B) In addition to the requirements of Section 12, the person authorized to issue employment certificates must determine that a trust account, established by the child performer's parent or guardian, that meets the requirements of subsection (c) has been established designating the minor as the beneficiary of the trust account before an employment certificate for work as a child performer may be issued for a minor under the age of 16 years.

Full act (820 ILCS 205/) Child Labor Law.

For a minor child (ages 0-15 years of age) to be able to work in Illinois, he or she must be issued a work permit. Work permits are valid for 1 year and for 1 employer.
During the school year, all permits can be issued through the school district where the child resides. Please contact your child's school district office for a list of their issuing officers.

If you are coming to the Regional Office of Education for your work permit or certificates, they are issued between the hours of 9:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Please call the office to verify the required documents before you arrive. Please note the minor needing the work permit must also be present if you are wishing to obtain the permit in person. If you do not have all required documents with you or the minor is not present, we will be unable to issue the permit.

To submit Work Permit Application paperwork, please fill out this form.
*Please see required documents below before submitting paperwork*

If you have questions please contact Jennifer Ochsner at 847-223-3400 x 239

Requirements -No work permit will be issued without the following

Illinois law requires that both the child and the parent/guardian be present when applying for the work permit/during the Google Meet Video Conference to issue the permit.


1. Letter of intention to employ, physically signed by the prospective employer on employer letterhead with job duties & hours to be worked listed.

2. Evidence of age
  • Original Birth Certificate
  • Certification of Baptism
  • Passport if original birth certificate is unavailable
  • Other means pursuant (820 ILCS 205/12) 12-2-C. see also 12-2-D
3. Parent/Guardian ID. If you are a court appointed guardian, please include this paperwork with your submission.
4. Minor's Social Security Card
5. A Principal’s Statement To Issuing Officer - form downloaded here. This form is waived during summer holiday if the minor will not work during the school year. This form must be signed by a principal except during school holidays, where another person designated by the principal may sign this form.

6. A Statement of physical fitness from the minor's physician* indicating they are physically fit to be employed in all legal occupations or under the limitations specified in the remarks box. This examination must be dated within 1 year of the work permit application. 

*Physician refers to an MD only per the DOL*

You can download the Statement of physical fitness form here. 

7. Filled out Application Form (PDF).


8. If the minor is applying for a performing, acting or modeling work permit, proof of a Coogan (or blocked trust account) must be included with your submission.

AGE Certificates

Age Certificates are issued for a minor child (ages 16-20 years of age) for employment purposes if a birth certificate is not official or available.

To verify age, please show one of the following:


  • Baptismal or Bible records

  • Birth Certificate

  • Passport

Further Information

IDOL Employment Certificates for Minors

If you have any further questions concerning this procedure, please feel free to contact us at 847-223-3400 x 239

If you have any questions concerning Illinois Child Labor Laws, please contact the Child Labor Hotline at

bottom of page